Tonight’s homework is:
- Grade 4 and Grade 5: Complete last 4 word problems on worksheet #13.
- Grade 5: Complete worksheet #10 on subtracting with zeros as the minuend.
Reminder for parents: Please sign and return all papers that were in your child’s green Friday folder as well as the Progress Report that was sent home last Friday.
What did the children do today in Room 103?
A. Mass/Religion: Father talked about self-control, our virtue of the month and tied it in with today’s Gospel which talked about how “Martha threw a fit (Father’s words”) when her sister Mary did not help her wait on Jesus and his friends. Father mentioned that Martha did not display self-control. He gave examples of how the children can show self-control, namely, by always raising their hands for permission before speaking and by walking in lines as directed by the teacher. Back in class we followed up with Father’s remarks by talking about being calm instead of getting angry, by not eating or drinking too much, and by waiting to say something instead of just blurting out a comment.
1. Both groups worked together to do a lesson on Guess and Test for word problems. We tried several numbers to fit into word problems until the correct number was reached for the missing variable. We worked on the first 4 problems on worksheet #13 together. Following this both groups worked on completing problems 5-8 on worksheet #13.
2. Grade 5 students then checked the problems on page 51 of the text on subtraction with zeros. These papers were then collected.
C. Fire Safety Assembly: We participated in an assembly led by our local Williamston Fire Chief. The Chief talked about how we can be safe at home. This included the following important safety rules:
1. Get out of the house right away.
2. Agree on a designated gathering area outside by family members.
3.Never play with matches or fire starters or candles.
4. Don’t hide if firemen come into the house, even if we played a roll in starting the fire.
5. Put your hand on the back of a closed door before opening it, if you see smoke coming from behind it.
6. Stop, drop, and roll if your clothing is on fire.
7. Stay out of the house after you have exited . Don’t go back inside for anything.
We also saw all of the safety equipment that the firemen use as one of the firemen put it on. We had a chance to answer questions and then we went outside to look at the truck itself. Way cool!
D. Reading: We received a new vocabulary paper from Chapters 4-6 of My Brother Sam Is Dead. We practiced skimming for words in Chapter 4 and then copied the context in which the word was found. Finally, we found the definition of that word in the matching section of the worksheet.
E. Recess: We enjoyed 25 minutes of recess.
F. Lunch/Music: After lunch, we went to music with our new teacher.
G. Handwriting: The letters m and n were the topic of the day. We learned about the overcurve stroke where we start on the bottom line, go up in an arch to the middle line and then go back down to the bottom line. We practiced writing this stroke, the letters m and n, and wrote words containing these letters like nine, dine, dime, man, nine, and name.
H. Physical Education: We enjoyed a spirited form of the game of tag using a nerf-type ball.
I. Celebration: We really enjoyed our celebration of getting notches on our reward cards. We began with enjoying some ice cream cones. Then, we received our reward bags. The bags included items based on the number of notches that each student earned. All students got 2 pieces of candy. Then, some students got sticker sheets while others got Halloween coloring and activity books. Congratulations to AC, grade 5, who received the candy, stickers, coloring book, a pack of 6 card games, and a necklace. Our celebration ended with students having 30 extra minutes of recess today.
J. Science: We wrapped up the day with a study of the tools of scientists. We looked at pictures of tools and then tried to guess their names. We then drew on a sheet of paper the first two tools: the hand lens and the spring scale. We will continue this lesson tomorrow.
K. Dismissal – Have a great night everyone!